Orme Brothers Racing
Orme Brothers Inc ventured into a new aspect of the performance industry in 2004 with the
birth of Team OBI racing. While as a business we had been involved with countless racecars, boats, and bikes,
Orme Brothers, Inc. had never built anything of their own. Joel and Jonny Orme, third generation employees of
Orme Brothers, Inc. set out to build a drag car for participation in the Pacific Street Car
Starting out with nothing more than a $400 dollar shell of an '88 four cylinder Mustang LX,
Jonny and Joel Set out on what seemed like the impossible. After two and one-half years of blood, sweat, and
countless emotional breakdowns Team OBI was born.
Check Out These Sites:
TEAM OBI RACING CAR
Body- 1988 Ford Mustang LX
- NHRA chassis certification #
- Racing Series- PSCA ( Pacific Street Car Association) & WCHRA (West
- Hot Rod Association)
- Classes run- PSCA True Street & WCHRA Drag
- Vehicle weight requirements- (all weights are with driver) PSCA True Street
2950lbs & WCHRA Drag Radial 2800lbs
- - Paint and body work by Arnold ’s Body shop in Northridge Ca.
- - Aftermarket headlights and taillights from Modular Mustang Racing in Oxnard
- - Sheet metal spill-plate (rear wing) by Skinny Kid Racing and installed by Fab-Tech,
custom fabrication and welding, in Chatsworth, Ca.
- - Painted sponsorship logos by “Kiwi” Paul Adams at Anarchy Graphics in Granada Hills,
- - Parachute mount fabricated, assembled, and installed by Fab-Tech, custom fabrication
and welding, in Chatsworth, Ca.
- - Parachute by DJ Safety in Tujunga, Ca.
- - Brakes- Four-piston Dyna-lite caliper from Wilwood Engineering in Camarillo ,
- - Interior Modifications
- - Roll cage- 16 point chromolly by Fab-Tech, custom fabrication and welding, in
- - Sheet metal- all custom by Fab-Tech, custom fabrication and welding, in Chatsworth,
- - Wiring- Painless, harness and switch panel installed by VIP Performance Center in
Simi Valley , Ca.
- - Gauges- Pro-comp ultra-lights wired by VIP Performance Center in Simi Valley ,
- - Windows tinted by Blackout Tinting in Northridge, Ca.
- - Seat-belts, window net and all restraints by DJ Safety in Tujunga
- Rear Suspension
- - Wolfe Racing rear suspension “system”; including, double adjustable lower control
arms and upper spring perches. All rear suspension work done by “Wild” Bill Hickok at Hickok Race Cars in
California City , Ca.
- - Rear shocks- double adjustable “Vari-Shock” from Chris Alston’s Chassis Works in
Sacramento , Ca.
- - Rear End- Fab-9 housing with permanent anti-roll bar included by Chris Alston’s
Chassis Works in Sacramento, Ca. 4:10 gear ratio on a lightened aluminum third-member by Mark Williams
turning 35 splined axles from Mosier.
- - Wheelie Bars- Kit by Skinny Kid Race Cars and was built and hung by Fab-Tech, custom
fabrication and welding, in Chatsworth, Ca.
- - “D & D” racing aftermarket K-member with tubular A-arms, camber/caster plates,
and “Bump steer” Kit all from Brandt Racing Enterprises in Palmdale, Ca.
- - Koni adjustable front struts with coil over springs by Hyper coil from Brandt Racing
Enterprises in Palmdale, Ca.
- - Steering- “ Flaming River ” manual rack and aftermarket steering column from Brandt
Racing Enterprises in Palmdale, Ca
Meet the Team
Team Owner and "DAD"- Jim Orme
Jim was most excited about the project car once the basics had been figured out. Being team
owner he wanted to make sure we knew what we were getting into before we were so far into that we couldn't
turn back. As the project developed and got closer to a realization he really became the glue that kept the
car from falling by the wayside. Let alone him being the constant referee between Joel and Jonny. Jim is the
current owner of Orme Brothers, Inc. and is second generation in the business.
Co-Car Owner and Co-Driver- Joel Orme
Joel is the older of the two Orme boys. Joel earned a bachelors degree in marketing from
the University of Nevada at Reno, and works full time at Orme Brothers, Inc. As an employee of Orme Brothers,
Inc. Joel has helped to catapult us into the racing industry full force.
Racing History- Joel was a long time follower of NASCAR and local stock car racing.
Plumbing and working closely with several late model and super late model drivers. Joel got involved with
drag racing in 2000 when little brother Jonny drug him out to a PSCA (Pacific Street Car Association) in
Palmdale, CA. Joel hooked up with Mike "Stickman" Prichard's team in 2001.
Co-Car Owner and Co-Driver- Jonny Orme
Jonny is the younger of the Orme boys. He earned a bachelor's degree in communication
studies from California State University, Northridge. He works at Orme Brothers Inc. part time while he
continues his education in quest of a master's degree and eventually a doctorate. It was Jonny who originally
brought the idea of Team OBI to the others and it was Jonny who pushed Orme Brothers, Inc towards the Drag
Racing History- Jonny's racing history started on the streets of Southern California
working on several local street race cars. He got involved in the PSCA in 1999 as a member of Team Fast
Part's, "Cheatin" Peter Adams' Limited street crew. Jonny helped to take the small-block powered 4-door nova
to an impressive 9.89 at LVMS, in Las Vegas, NV. Jonny made the decision to join Joel on Team Stickman in
2002. Jonny was involved with Team Stickman as a part of Mike "Stickman" Prichard's Heavy Street '57 Chevy
Team Savior- Ken Sink
Through his loyalty and great friendship, Ken helped in building the Team OBI mustang from
it's inception through the present. Ken earned a Bachelor's Degree in business management from California
State University, Northridge. Since graduating from college Ken has worked in the performance racing
industry. He has worked at Earl's Performance Plumbing, Weiand Performance Blowers, and Holley Performance
Products. Ken is currently the vice-president of sales and marketing for Miladon in Chatsworth,
Racing history- Ken's racing history is extensive. He has been street racing and bracket
racing for over twenty-five years. He has had a blown big block Chevy powered '57 Chevy. He has raced a '57
Chevy NHRA Super Gas Car. Ken is now in the process of building an early model Camaro to race in the
Fabricator and Suspension- Jamie Voorhees
Jamie and his partner at Fabtech Custom Fabrication and Welding took over the Team OBI
mustang project in the early stages. They literally built the cars structure from the ground up. Jamie also
works with us at the track to help dial-in the chassis and suspension.
Racing History- Along with street racing, Jamie has been involved with the building of
several cars running in local sanctioning bodies. These bodies include the PSCA (Pacific Street Car
Association), NMRA (National Mustang Racing Association), WCTT (West Coast True Ten-five, Sal's Mustang Day,
and Fun Ford Weekend.
Crew Chief and Tuner- Mike "Stickman" Prichard
Mike worked with his father at Northridge Carburetors for years. When
Chuck, his father, retired and moved to Phoenix, AZ, Mike began work as a mechanic at Acme Auto in Burbank, CA. He
works alongside fellow Team Stickman driver "Super" Dave Osborne.
Racing History- Mike raced a beautiful '57 Chevy in both Real Street and
Heavy Street in the PSCA. He took second place honors in Real Street in 2002 and second place honors in Heavy
Street in 2003. The '57 was involved in a disappointing and devastating crash that totaled the car in late 2003.
Mike promises to be back behind the wheel of a car, but until then Team OBI will be harvesting his
Team Grandpa- Bill "Papa" Vineyard
Papa gives his all in dedication to his grandsons'
crazy dream of driving a race car. Last minute trips to the parts store, countless errands, and his loving
attitude make him invaluable to the team